Monday, March 12, 2012

Title Inspiration

My inspiration for this blog comes from a quote from Ovid (43 BC - c. 18 AD): "Perfer et obdura; dolor hic tibi proderit olim."

Now, I'm trusting a translation here so if you read (speak?  is that a thing anymore?) Latin, by all means, shatter the grand vision of my personal mantra, but I've seen the quote in English as follows:

"Be patient and tough; some day this pain will be useful to you."


I first saw this used as a book title, and it jumped out at me.  It's motivated me kind of a lot, actually.  While real, physical pain as the result of an injury would certainly make me take a break from running think about taking a break from running, I like to think of it more as "some day this discomfort will be useful to you."  Maybe my quads are feeling smushy now, but that means they'll be strong enough to get me through the hills in May's Ice Age Trail 50.  Maybe I'm mentally crushed and sick to death of the route I'm running, but I let the mental fatigue teach me to overcome it - I learn to pray, to sing, to rejoice in my run or the sky and whatever it's doing, or the lake, the woods, even the fact that I am strong enough to do what I am doing.  Maybe I accidentally wore socks that left me blistered, or a top that chafed - too damn bad, Kim!  Bet you won't make that mistake again, and therefore, this pain will have been useful to you.

Everything is a learning experience: a run in terrible headwinds on the shore of Lake Michigan teaches me to be patient and focus on form, teaches me to apply what I'm learning from the wind to a hill run.  A run on impossible hills teaches me to gut it out, shows me where the line is between powering up and switching to a stride.  A run in the snow teaches me to go home and make hot chocolate work on my footing and appreciate the winter wonderland.  It is all beautiful and now I sound crazy but really, this is why I love running!  It is a great equalizer, and I think it makes me a better person.  It has taught me patience and toughness, and each lesson is useful to me.


My feet after a 38-mile overnight "fun run" during the Kettle 100.  Someday this pain will be...oh, shut up, Kim!



No comments:

Post a Comment